Coach Spotlight: Su-Jean Lam
This month, we catch up with Su Jean, who’s been with us for a while now, and is our resident Nutrition Specialist.
Hello! You’ve been here for a season now, but perhaps there are some who haven’t met you yet. Tell us about yourself, and maybe what has changed over your time at Level.
Hello! I always struggle with ‘tell me about yourself’ questions so maybe I’ll start from the beginning (a very good place to start, according to Mary Poppins). When I begun working, I started off as a nutritionist in various industries; from public health to the beauty industry. I’ve always wanted to step my foot into the fitness industry, so after a while I started working part-time as a group trainer in F45 before transitioning into full time at F45. Long story short, here I am now at Level.
I feel like my outlook has changed a lot during my time at Level. I started as a go, go, go, fast-paced individual — coming from a background of HIIT and CrossFit at that time — but now I’ve definitely slowed down (albeit being forced thanks to my wrist injury), and have grown to love the slower pace. I’d also like to think I’ve gotten more confident as a trainer (thanks to the help of the other trainers and my clients as well!).
How have your years in the fitness industry led you to believe in what you do about fitness today?
Just watching clients and class goers get stronger as the weeks go by, and watching people of all ages come into the gym and have their life changed helps me believe in what I do. I also love watching people’s confidence in the gym shine through as they get more comfortable in the movements and in the space. I also love seeing people are getting more informed about fitness and how it can enhance our health and years.
What do you like to do outside the gym?
I love playing with my new cat (I don’t have her yet while I’m writing this, but by the time this comes out I would have her!). I’ve become a cat person 😂 but I also enjoy going for walks (I’ll definitely be training my cat to go on walks with me HAHA i’ll be one of those crazy cat ladies), and finding new places/things to do! If you have any suggestions of fun activities to do, let me know!
Oh and I also definitely love going out to eat and trying out new food stalls/restaurants/cafes! But some days we order in food and just binge watch movies and tv shows.
How would you like to chart your journey in the next 3-5 years? What are things you are aiming to do and are striving toward?
I feel like I have a lot more to learn as a trainer and in the next 3-5 years I would love to learn as much as I can from the other amazing trainers at Level.
On a more personal level I’m aiming to travel more in the next few years, hitting countries I haven’t had the opportunity to go to yet, and just explore a little bit more!
In terms of fitness, before my injury I had re-started my journey back to gymnastics, so when my wrist heals, that is something that i’m planning to get back into and get over my fear of heights on the parallel bars and beam!
As a certified nutritionist, what do you think are three biggest ways in the way people are miseducated about fitness and nutrition? Explain!
1. Healthy might look different on everyone, and it doesn’t look a specific way. For some healthy might be eating more veggies and fruits, but for others it might be eating that burger/fries!
2. We (women especially) are not meant to have a very low body fat percentage or six pack abs! We need enough body fat (more so than men) to be able to regulate our hormones and menstrual cycle better.
3. Controversial— One form/style of training is better than another. In terms of longevity strength training would be more beneficial to reduce risk of sarcopenia, but if someone hates strength training and because of this it puts them off exercise and would happily do HIIT, or a run instead, as long as it gets them moving, why not. There’s no point in forcing someone to do something they hate to the point that they don’t end up going, rather find something they enjoy doing that they’d actually go for!
What are three things people don’t know about you? Elaborate as much as you can if you like!
1. Birds terrify me. I’d rather walk in a complete opposite direction than walk into a flock of birds. I’ve tried facing my fears by going into a bird sanctuary at the bird park but I was low key just screaming internally throughout.
2. I was born in Singapore, and lived here till I was 12 before I moved to Jakarta and then Bangkok after where I finished off high school. I’m very grateful to have had the opportunity to grow up and learn in different cultures.
3. I love my afternoon naps 😂 if you don’t see me in the gym between 2-4pm, there’s a 99% chance I’m at home taking a nap.
Su Jean is available for Nutrition and Personal Training Sessions, and she teaches Structure classes at Telok Ayer on Tuesdays at 7.30am as well as Skill: Full Body at 11am on Sundays at Telok Ayer and at 7.30am on Thursdays. Send us an email at email@example.com to find out more and get involved!
Curious to see how Personal Training can help you?
We'd love to see if we are the right place for you.
We provide a complimentary personal training consultation for us to learn more about you -
your current exercise program, lifestyle, fitness goals.
Book a complimentary consultation with us today and come experience our facilities.
Meet some other clients who train at Level
Motoko suffered a shoulder injury as the result of a miscalculated adjustment during yoga. After surgery, she started training at Level to rehab her shoulder and regain her strength.
After Marc tore his ACL and MCL, he lost confidence and was afraid to lift heavy. It was Jamie, his wife, who suggested doing personal training sessions at Level.
As someone with scoliosis and SI joint issues, Shu Ting wanted to engage in strength training to help prevent injury and let her maintain a pain-free yoga practice in the long haul.
Enjoy a complimentary Personal Training session
New to Level? Start your first consultation with us.
To make sure this is the right place for you we provide a complimentary personal training session for us to learn about your current exercise program, lifestyle, fitness goals, and for you to experience our facilities.